Conducted Heritage Walking Tours
The Historical Society can conduct a Heritage Walking Tour of Queanbeyan for groups for a modest donation. Please contact the Society at email@example.com
Brief introduction to Queanbeyan
From time immemorial indigenous people lived in this area and the site of Queanbeyan was a meeting place for a number of groups.
In 1820 Europeans, Wild and Throsby, reached the Queanbeyan River and soon after land grants were given in the area, one to Timothy Beard who called his lot Quinbean.
The area was mainly a farming and pastoral region with a brief time mid-19th century enjoying some wealth, and bushranging, from nearby goldfields.
At first Queanbeyan was considered a wild somewhat lawless area until the first Police magistrate, Alured Tasker Faunce was appointed in 1837 and the township of Queanbeyan was officially recognised in September1838.
The main stages of the growth of Queanbeyan have been as a pastoral & agricultural centre, the building of Canberra and the post WW2 migration and building boom.
The historic buildings remaining in Queanbeyan demonstrate a town with wealth based on all stages of its development.
These include private houses, official buildings, schools, churches, businesses and hotels.
A LIST OF SOME OF QUEANBEYAN’S HISTORIC PLACES AND OBJECTS OF INTEREST
Queanbeyan Museum – 10 Farrer Pl (Old Police Sergeant’s Residence)
John Gale’s Statue – cnr Lowe St and Farrer Pl
Date: Unveiled 10 March 2001.
William James Farrer Memorial – Farrer Pl
Date: 1935 Sculpted by Raynor Hoff.
Old Municipal Council Chambers – Cnr Lowe St and Farrer Pl
WW1 Memorial – Cnr Lowe St and Farrer Pl
Lazarus Sundial Cnr – Lowe St and Farrer Pl
Queanbeyan Park – Lowe St
Date: Gazetted 1893. Used from the 1870s
Queanbeyan Showground entrance and showground – Lowe St
Date: Showground 1893. Collett Memorial entrance gates Lowe St 1934.
The Retreat – 72 Lowe St
Fairholme – 74 Lowe St
Walsh’s Hotel – 40 Monaro St
Date: Built 1875 as a drapery store. Since 1885 as a licensed house
Tree of Knowledge (Kurrajong) – cnr Crawford and Monaro St (south)
Royal Hotel – cnr Crawford and Monaro (north)
Old School of Arts – Evans Building – 110–112 Monaro St
Date: constructed in 1867 by Edwin Oswald Evans. School of Arts from 1894.
School of Arts Billiard Rooms housed the School of Arts Café and is now Belle Real Estate
Queen’s Bridge over Queanbeyan River
Helman’s Cottage – 182 Crawford St
QPRC Council chambers – Crawford St (old School of Arts)
Masonic Lodge – 258 Crawford St
The Old Fire Station – Crawford St
Dutton’s Cottage – 256a Crawford St
Gypsy Manor – 18 Rutledge St
Wesleyan Chapel – Methodist Church – Uniting Church – Rutledge St
Calthorpe’s Cottage – Cnr Lowe and Rutledge St
Queanbeyan Public School – cnr Isabella St and Crawford St
St Benedict’s Convent – cnr Isabella St and Crawford St
Date: Completed in 1882
Suspension Bridge – Isabella St
Christchurch Queanbeyan – cnr Rutledge and Collett St
Christchurch Manse – cnr Rutledge and Collett St
Christchurch school house
Date: 1843 earliest school commenced. 1865 brick extension.
Coroda – 58 Atkinson St
St Gregory’s Catholic Church
Date: 1847 foundation stone laid. Completed in 1850.
Kent House Cnr – Trinculo Pl and McQuoid St
Dog and Stile Inn – 11-13 McQuoid St
Historic Cottages MacQuoid St:
Cottages 70 – 80 MacQuoid St Single and semidetached cottages
Torpy’s Cottage – 51 MacQuoid St
Lazarus’s Cottage – 38 MacQuoid St
33 MacQuoid St
O’Neill’s Cottage – Trinculo Pl (now Queanbeyan Arts Society)
Queen Elizabeth Park – Cnr Collett and Morisset St
Byrnes Mill – 58 Collett St
Mill House – Collett St
Hibernian Lodge – Collett St
Old Queanbeyan Hospital – “Rusten House” – Collett St
Date: 1861 Now QPRC Arts Centre
Furlong House – 15 Morisset St
St Stephen’s Presbyterian Manse and Church – Morisset St
Dates: Church 1874. Manse 1883.
OTHER PLACES OF INTEREST
Park St This heritage precinct contains many attractive well restored cottages
Date: Around 1900
Boer War Memorial – cnr Antill and Campbell St
Memorial Swimming Pool – cnr Crawford and Antill Sts
Date: 11 November 1961 (Armistace Day)
A LITTLE FURTHER AFIELD
Riverside Cemetery – Erin St
Date: earliest grave stone 1847
Bulls Cottage – 24 Henderson Rd
Queanbeyan Railway Station – Henderson Rd
Date: Opened September 1887
Glenrock – 26 Malcolm Rd